Virginia Transition Assistance Program (VTAP)
The Virginia Transition Assistance Program (VTAP) offers transitioning service members and their spouses the best Virginia has to offer. By providing peer-to-peer support through the transition process, VTAP works alongside the transitioning service member or spouse to make referrals that address specific needs. The referral services could include, but is not limited to resume review, introduction to the Virginia Labor Market index, connection with the Virginia Values Veterans (V3) certified companies for employment, and other DVS programs as applicable. The VTAP core areas of focus are those seeking employment, education, and entrepreneurship, but we will also assist those with needs outside of those three core areas. We make a commitment to customer service, and always ensure that referrals are completed with follow up from the VTAP staff.
Over time, VTAP has developed a refined network of employers and other resources that have made a commitment to our transitioning service members and their spouses. Through that network, VTAP partners to offer multiple connection points with those seeking employment through networking events, job fairs, hiring events, and electronic communications promoting jobs and events. We want service members and spouses to start thinking about transition early!
Through outreach and services, VTAP provides a strong case for why a transitioning service member should call Virginia home post-transition.
- Peer to Peer support to transitioning service members and their spouses
- Outreach for the Commonwealth of Virginia, answering the question “Why Virginia?”
- Partner with federal, state, local, nonprofit, and employers to provide the best possible resources to our service members and spouses
Read the latest on current events, innovative programs and up to date news on Veteran issues in the Commonwealth. The most recent Virginia Department of Veterans Services eNews.
Transition Connection Newsletter
If you are a transitioning service member, Veteran or spouse looking for employment, sign up for the VTAP Newsletter called the Transition Connection. VTAP collects job postings from employers looking to hire veterans and spouses and sends them out twice each week to our list of subscribers. Each posting will host a unique set of job openings for all levels of occupations all across the Commonwealth. We also include upcoming events for you as well and key information you need to know as a Virginia Veteran. In order to join the subscription list, click here.
If you are an employer or resource provider and would like to receive a copy of the Transition Connection, sign up here.
View the most recent Transition Connection Job Newsletters below.
View the most recent Transition Connection Education Newsletter below.
VTAP works to increase connection points between employers and transitioning service member through a variety of events. For descriptions of upcoming events and a list by date, please see below.
- HIRE VETS NOW Hiring and Networking Events If you are still transitioning and want an opportunity to meet employers in a more casual environment, join us at one of our hiring and networking events hosted throughout the state with the Virginia Chamber of Commerce Foundation and other local partners.Click here for more information on the HIRE VETS NOW Hiring and Networking Events.
- Hiring Events and Job Fairs Hiring Events and Job Fairs offer an opportunity for transitioning service members and their spouses to interact with employers in traditional job fair style events, “speed-dating” style hiring events, and other employment events. To see a list of upcoming events, subscribe to the Transition Connection and get the most up-to-date information.
- Employment Workshops VTAP facilitates Employment Workshops across the Commonwealth that will give transitioning service members and their families and opportunity to do some hands-on work on your resume and practice your interviewing skills. To see a list of upcoming events, subscribe to the Transition Connection and get the most up-to-date information.
2018 Calendar of Events
– Fort Lee October 17
– Registration coming soon for the November 15th Naval Station Norfolk event!
Upcoming VTAP Events!
Click here for more information on the next resume writing workshop at Ft. Lee on October 30th.
Click here for more information on the next resume writing workshop at Ft. Belvoir on November 8th.
Click here for more information on the October 25th Webinar – Financial Planning Basics.
Boots to Suits
Boots to Suits is a clothing voucher program for male and female Virginia veterans transitioning from military life to civilian careers. It is administered by The Clothes Rack at Stratford Hills, a service of Junior League of Richmond. Boots to Suits provides veterans with two complimentary career outfits, enabling them to look and feel their best for job interviews and non-military work environments. Military spouses who are job-seeking and the main household provider are also eligible for this opportunity. In order to obtain a voucher, call the VTAP main line at 804-786-8060. For more information, see the flyer below:
Credits2Careers evaluates your military experience for college credits and lets you see how they apply to VCCS programs that support your career goals. The colleges in the Virginia Community College System are committed to evaluating your military experience and granting college credit. This credit, Credit for Prior Learning, can then be applied to meet the academic requirements of a degree or certificate program at that college – so you complete the degree or certificate you need for a future career – faster and at a lower cost. Credits2Careers also helps you explore careers based on either your military background or your personal goals and interest and VCCS programs that prepare you for the career you choose. Create a C2C account and load your military transcript to get a complete estimate of college credits for your military experience, explore careers, find VCCS degrees that help your career, search jobs…and more! Click here to visit the Credits2Careers Website.
Veterans Career Transition Program
The Virginia Department of Veterans Services is pleased to offer the resources of the Onward to Opportunity in Partnership with the Veterans Career Transition Program (O2O-VCTP) to eligible Virginia transitioning Service Members, Veterans and family members through the Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF) at Syracuse University.
O2O-VCTP is a free, comprehensive career training, certification and employment program designed to launch you into your next career with over 30 industry-recognized learning paths and courses as part of three career tracks: Customer Service, Information Technology, and Business Management. The program offers classroom and web-based training to accommodate all types of learners. Transitioning service members, veterans and military families can also benefit from the uniquely military employment pipeline with direct connections to career-path counseling, job-ready training and access to over 400 brand name employers.
To learn more, please visit: http://onward2opportunity-vctp.org/the-program/.
CONTACT THE VTAP STAFF:
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn @/veteservices