Based on Governor Northam’s Declared State of Emergency due to COVID-19, VVFS offices will be operating at a reduced capacity until further notice. All DVS Virginia Veteran and Family Support Program office sites are closed to in-person assistance. Operations ARE CONTINUING via phone and email. If as a veteran, you or your family has a need which requires a face-to-face meeting In an urgent or emergency situation, please advise when you speak with the Regional Director or Resource Specialist at time of initial contact. Please contact 1-877-285-1299 and your call will be routed to the appropriate region for assistance. Please be sure to state your name, a return phone number, and your location clearly.
This page contains a listing of state and national Legal Services which provide information about: consultation and legal representation are available free or at discounted rates for a variety of situations including, but not limited to, VA and Social Security claims, civil matters, and other non-criminal proceedings.
- Clinic for Legal Assistance to Service members and Veterans at theGeorge Mason University School of Law provides representation on civil matters such as negotiation and litigation in consumer protection, family law, bankruptcy, immigration, landlord-tenant, contract, estate and entitlement matters in federal and state forums. They also handle administrative and military law and entitlements matters such as Traumatic Service Group Life Insurance issues and appeals; Physical Evaluation Boards; and discharge upgrade applications.
- Lewis B. Puller, Jr. Veterans Benefits Clinic at the William & Mary School of Law providescurrent and former military service members with knowledge of and assistance with pursuing available disability benefits resulting from their military service.The goal of the Veterans Benefits Clinic is to help veteran clients find the help or advice that they need for all of their concerns.
- Virginia Bar Association provides legal assistance for service members with deployment related issues – https://m360.vba.org/admin/forms/ViewForm.aspx?id=30908
- LawHelp.org helps people of low and moderate inc ome find free legal aid programs in their communities, answers to questions about their legal rights and forms to help them with their legal problems.
- Lawyers Serving Warriors® program of NVLSP offers pro bono (free) legal help with disability issues to veterans from all eras. The current pro bono initiative is to assist veterans with two types of disability claims — applications for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and applications to the Physical Disability Board of Review for an increase in the military disability rating.
- Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program provides free representation at the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims – http://www.vetsprobono.org/