This page contains a listing of state and national Legal Services which provide information about: consultation and legal representation are available free or at discounted rates for a variety of situations including, but not limited to, VA and Social Security claims, civil matters, and other non-criminal proceedings.
- Mason Veterans and Servicemembers Legal Clinic (M-VETS)enables Mason law students to assist servicemembers, veterans and dependent family members in a wide variety of litigation and non-litigation matters. Since its inception, clinic students have assisted hundreds of clients from all five branches of the armed services with negotiation and litigation in consumer protection, expungements, family law (uncontested divorce, step-parent adoptions, name changes), landlord-tenant and contract matters. M-VETS also provides assistance related to the appeal of initial (partial or total) denials of VA disability compensation claims, the filing of requests for increases in ratings, and appeals to the Board of Veterans Appeals and the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
- Lewis B. Puller, Jr. Veterans Benefits Clinic at the William & Mary School of Law provides current and former military service members with knowledge of and assistance with pursuing available disability benefits resulting from their military service. The goal of the Veterans Benefits Clinic is to help veteran clients find the help or advice that they need for all of their concerns.
- LawHelp.org helps people of low and moderate inc ome find free legal aid programs in their communities, answers to questions about their legal rights and forms to help them with their legal problems.
- Lawyers Serving Warriors® program of NVLSP offers pro bono (free) legal help with disability issues to veterans from all eras. The current pro bono initiative is to assist veterans with two types of disability claims — applications for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and applications to the Physical Disability Board of Review for an increase in the military disability rating.
- Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program provides free representation at the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims – http://www.vetsprobono.org/