The Virginia Department of Veterans Services (VDVS) Virginia Veteran and Family Support (VVFS) program is continuing services to Service Members, Veterans, and their Families (SMVF) as the Commonwealth begins reopening after the COVID-19 shutdowns. We are serving our SMVF population as before but with certain protocols in place to ensure the safety of our staff, clients and community partners. Our Regional offices will be opening at different times across the state but we are continuing to support the needs of eligible individuals by phone/email until all offices have re-opened.
Our staff will be serving the needs of our veterans and their family members by appointment only. As we re-open offices, we are ensuring all social distancing protocols are in place for the safety of our staff and service members and veteran families. If as a veteran, you or your family has a need which requires a face-to-face meeting In an urgent or emergency situation, please advise when you speak with the Regional Director or Resource Specialist at the time of initial contact. To determine whether your local office is open, please contact 1-877-285-1299 and your call will be routed to the appropriate region for assistance. Please be sure to state your name, a return phone number, and your location clearly.
One of the best ways to relieve stress and improve mood is through activity. Below is a list of different organizations and programs that offer outdoor and indoor activities for veterans and their families.
- Kayaking for Wounded Warriors and their Familieshttp://www.teamriverrunner.org/
- Massanutten Ski Resort, Discounted Lift Tickets for Veterans and Active Dutyhttp://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=178
- Virginia YMCA, Offers Discounted Membership Rates for Veteranshttp://vaymca.org/
- Listing of Virginia State Parks and Activities http://www.virginia.org/directory/OutdoorsandSports/StateParks/?view=grid&gclid=CLyPu6a78LcCFVSk4AodKEoAvw
- Hunting Clubs – >http://www.vasportsmen.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12
- Culpeper, Virginia The Bald Eagle Ranch and Conference Center For Veterans of All Wars and Their Families! https://usvetsource.org/bald-eagle-ranch—conference-center.html
- Bull Run Warrior Retreat Haymarket, Virginia Serve Our Willing Warriors!http://www.serveourwoundedwarriors.org/bull-run-warrior-retreat.html
- Department of Game and Inland Fisheries – http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/
- Free Outdoors Adventures for Veterans 6-7 Days long Awesome! http://www.outwardbound.org/course-finder/veteran-adventures/?view=1
- American Veterans – http://www.amvets.org/
- Wounded Warrior Project: Fun Activities for Veterans and Their Families. http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/