Skip to Content
Vertical Graphic Fade

Claims Appointment - Commonly Needed Documents

Initial Visit (new to VDVS)

  1. DD-214
  2. Photo ID
  3. Voided Check or Account Documents (new claims only)

If you will sign a claim for someone else:

  1. Durable Power of Attorney or,
  2. Court Order

If you want to view information for someone else:

If you have dependents to add on the claim:

  1. Marriage Certificate
  2. Previous marriage info/documentation
  3. Birth certificates for spouse and children
  4. All Soc. Sec. Numbers

Disability Claims (Note that the VA may attempt to produce these if you don’t have them)

  1. Proof of an in-service event such as:
  2. Service Medical Treatment Records
  3. Service Personnel Records
  4. Buddy statements or other evidence
  5. Proof of a current diagnosis from a doctor such as recent medical records. Name and address of doctor treating you for condition.
  6. Proof of a connection between an in-service event and your current diagnosis such as:
  7. Ongoing medical records
  8. Buddy statement

Benefits Delivery at Discharge Claims (pre-discharge Disability Claims)

  1. Medical records – electronic, hard copy, or CD (180-90 days only)
  2. If married: Spouse DOB, SSN, marriage certificate
  3. Any previous marriage information/ documentation
  4. Any minor dependent or 18-23 in high school or college
  5. Birth certificate, DOB, SSN,
  6. Direct deposit information: bank name, routing number, and account number
  7. DD-214 (when received)

Burial and Death Benefits

  1. Death Certificate
  2. Itemized Funeral Statement with $0.00 balance
  3. DD 214


  1. Marriage cert.
  2. DD 214
  3. Death Certificate
  4. Proof of income
  5. Medical expense receipts
  6. Facility information/contract if in Assisted Living Facility or Nursing Home