All DVS team members in the education, transition, and employment programs are teleworking, and are connected via phone and e-mail, and can perform almost all direct-service activities for Veterans and their families during normal working hours.
Veteran & Military Related Education Information
Comprehensive List of Military Related Scholarships & Other Educational Opportunities
STEM2VA: Statewide Life Science Internship Program Details:
The internship program, led by Virginia Bio, will connect 100 undergraduate and graduate students with life science companies in Virginia for an eight-week internship experience from June 6-July 29, 2022.
- Application Opens: November 1, 2021
- Application Deadline: January 31, 2022
- Application Review by Employers: February 1-28, 2022 (*You may review applications as early as January 24, 2022)
- Internship Decision Letters Sent: February 21-March 11, 2022, No later than March 31, 2022
- Program Dates: June 6, 2022 – July 29, 2022
Students pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees, including students who graduate in Winter 2021 or Spring 2022. Eligible candidates must either be 1) students attending a Virginia higher education institution or 2) residents of Virginia attending any higher education institution.
Student Intern Selection Process:
- A representative from each participating company will be assigned login credentials to review student applications and select students they would like to interview (beginning January 24th).
- Employers will have the opportunity to review applications from students across Virginia who are interested in working in the company’s geographical region.
- Employers will contact applicants of interest directly to schedule and conduct interviews.
- Once companies have completed the student interviews and identified candidates they would like to accept (including backups), our internship program manager will send internship decision letters via email beginning February 21, 2022. All letters will be sent by March 31, 2022.
- Students who are selected by more than one company will be able to choose the company they prefer.
- Assigned work for student internships should encompass a technical aspect of the company’s work in research and development, but can also include other aspects critical for operating a life science business.
- The internship program is a full-time 40 hours/week commitment. While anticipating most internships will operate during normal business hours, employers have the flexibility to determine the exact schedule with the participating student.
- Participants will earn $4,200 for the eight-week, full-time program. We are asking participating companies to pay interns $2,100 and are pleased to share that Virginia Bio will match the additional $2,100.
- Students will be asked to join one weekly, one hour virtual workshop with their fellow cohort members to learn about leadership, team science, entrepreneurship, effective communication, and more.
- Students will be responsible for their own housing. If you or your community have housing resources, please provide that information to the intern. Many of our universities have summer housing and we will make that information available on our website.
At the end of the program, we will host a culminating event where interns will share a 5-minute pitch describing the company and their work during the summer. In addition to being an enlightening experience for the students, it will also serve to create greater awareness of life science companies in Virginia among all of the interns and other invitees.
Employer Registration Link: https://webportalapp.com/webform/vabio_employersregristration
Employer Webpage: https://www.vabio.org/stem2va-employer-opportunities/
Additional Information on Specific Military Related Scholarships & Other Educational Opportunities
- 2020 Women in Apprenticeship and Nontraditional Occupations (WANTO) Technical Assistant Grant Program
- Army Emergency Relief Scholarship
- Cisco Global Cybersecurity Scholarships
- CGTrader Scholarship
- Edith Nourse Rogers Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) Scholarship
- Fisher House Foundation Scholarships
- Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
- North American Van Lines Logistic Scholarship
- Student Veterans of America Scholarships
- Thanks USA
- The Joanne Holbrook Patton Military Spouse Scholarships
- The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship)
- Tillman Military Scholars
- VA-ACME Scholarship Program
- Wells Fargo Emergency Grant Program
- Wells Fargo Veterans Scholarship Program
- White House Internship Program
- Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act Veterans Fact Sheet
Military Related Education News
Military Related Education Links
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)
- GI Bill Feedback System
- US Department of Education – Accreditation System
- State Council on Higher Education of Virginia (SCHEV)
- Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies Listing
- Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)
- Army Vocational/Technical Soldier Program (AVOTEC)
- National Association of State Approving Agencies
- National Association of Veteran Program Administrators
- U.S. Department of Labor Employment and Training Service
- Federal Job Listings
- Helmets To Hardhats
- Troops to Teachers
- America’s Job Bank
- Center for Apprentice Training
- Veterans Education Wizard
- Veterans Employment Center
- Virginia National Guard